Friday, May 30, 2008
It involves republishing small subsets of data to various data stores such as MySQL, Amazon S3, GData, or just XML.
Then I syndicate web services / feeds in RSS, XML, JSON to those little data stores.
I keep getting asked why don't you just allow one central data feed off main data store.
From a security and load balancing standpoint the distributed piece just makes sense. It allows me to publish on a schedule these small data stores for each partner / client. I can give them access directly to the raw data as well as the feed.
Also the feed and data can scale and grow independently of the central data store. It really helps me to scale data feeds and each partners needs.
Alright....just jotting down these thoughts in case I change them..
There was one today that really moved me:
It was a mom telling the story about how her 9 year old son died watching a sunset.
WOW. That was moving.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Being in the social media business it seems I should have a more complete profile, at least on the major networks.
It is a lot of work to maintain multiple social network profiles, keep track of blogs, images, videos, and all the other stuff.
Think I'll hire someone to help me with my profile.
I am looking for product review web sites right now. Looking to harvest data on different product areas and feed it back out to users. I am not looking to harness the traffic, it will go to the source of the reviews. I do this to get data and statistics and ultimately provide value to end-users.
4 out of 5 sites I come across have reviews but do not have an RSS Feed. I understand that some people are worried about their proprietary data, well.....get over it. RSS will generate new users and syndicate your content beyond your web site.
If you can't figure out how to have an RSS feed, go get a Wordpress blog and start using that!!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Thursday, May 8, 2008
I spoke on the topic of online marketing and social media marketing. Unfortunately my wife Ishi couldn't be there.
It was an interesting group of young students, and an interesting group.
Here is the outline I used for my speech:
- Make an outline for your site
- Keep your goals simple in everything you do
- Be involved with planning with your designer
- Have control, ask for a content management system (CMS)
- Understand and have control over your META tags
- Pay for good Internet hosting
- Buy your own domain name
- Use a website traffic / analytics package
- Name your pages and folders using keyword rich names
- Bulleted and ordered lists
- Simple, readable content that gets to the point
- Keep design readable, appropriate for audience and accessible across all platforms, browsers.
- Maintain a keyword list
- Identify top keywords
- Use Google to define your market arena
- Asses your competitions strengths & weakness
- Identify your allies and partners
- Track top ranking using spreadsheet
- Use Google Alerts for new additions
- Monitor market on a schedule
- Maintain a keyword list
- Match keywords with top link targets on your site
- Keep keyword and link list fresh
- Track your outbound link traffic
- Exchange valuable links
- Research sites to get links placed
- Use keywords inbound and outbound links
- Quality not quantity
- Content Creation
- Write fresh content on a regular basis
- Use your keyword list to enrich content
- Use your link list to link your content to site
- Change your site copy from time to time
- Write for users but consider search engines
- Universal Search
- Use Google's navigation as reference.
- Create content in multiple format
- Syndicate to multiple locations
- Listening to the Conversation
- Blog Monitoring
- Question and Answer Monitoring
- Forum Monitoring
- Video Monitoring
- Image Monitoring
- Audio Monitoring
- Search Engine Monitoring
- Reputation Monitoring
- Listen to what people are saying
- Respond quickly to negative feedback.
- Content Creation
- Audio & Podcasts
- Slideshows / Screencasts
- Activity Streaming
- Blog Syndication
- Social Bookmarking
- Audio Syndication
- Video Syndication
- Image Syndication
- Press Syndication
- Micro Blogging
- Social Networking
- Maintain a profile on top social networks
- Make friends
- Join Groups
- Keep it Active
- Have a plan
- Maintain a keyword focus
- Maintain a link focus
- Track the market
- Assess your performance
- Adjust your strategy often
- Dedicate time every week
- Even if its one hour
- Build momentum and rhythm